mk

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Meet the New Boss (same as the old boss)

Well, Bruce Arena is the new coach of Red Bull New York, which is a complete non-surprise, overall. Bruce is a NYC guy, and RBNY wanted a name coach, so I can see the match. I've always liked the NY/NJ franchise, dating back to their original taxicab logo.

Most coaches, after they leave their WC team, travel, golf and generally do nothing noteworthy for a few months after (I have a feeling Klinsmann is at a Jamba Juice enjoying the anonymity). It's kind of a susprise to see Bruce back in the news so soon after, but I guess he wanted to do something, and NY needed him, so it all fits.

I have no doubt Bruce will win at Giants Stadium. He'll figure out a way to get it done. I wonder what his future holds; it's not like he's going to be one of these Kinnear or Yallop-type guys who bounces around MLs teams. After being the big man in the US, that's a step down, and he's not a step down kinda hombre.

I wouldn't be surprised, honestly, to see him coach another small to midsized national team like Canada - a team with some skill that needs a coach with a resume. ehh ?